Medical Billing and Coding Program
We are proud to offer multiple options for our students online or in person for our Medical Billing & Coding program.
Now accepting out of state students for our online course!
TNPTI Observed Holidays
January 16th, February 20th, April 8th,May 27th – May 29th, July 1st – July 7th , September 2nd – 4th, November 22nd – 25th, December 22nd – January 1st, 2024
Students wishing to enroll in the Online Medical Billing & Coding program must:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be willing and able to perform the job as a medical biller and coder
- Submit an official high school/GED/HiSET transcript
- Have access and use of a computer with working high speed internet, microphone and camera for the use of Microsoft Teams for instruction and testing
Financial Assistance Available!
We work with several organizations that offer financial assistance upon qualification. Contact us for more information or set up a financial assistance application meeting.
The curriculum is designed to give students the knowledge necessary to understand the functions of a medical billing and coding specialist in the real world and the systems, such as ICD-10, as they relate to the functions of the medical billing and coding specialist.
Overall, the program seeks to develop students in the general approaches to the knowledge necessary for the medial billing and coding specialist including skills training, medial terminology, insurance and medical billing terminology so that students may work effectively in the field and engage in the intellectual work of the discipline.
Over the course of each of our programs, students will:
- Learn to understand the anatomy and physiology of the human body
- Develop a strong foundation in medical terminology
- Identify common medical prefixes, roots and suffixes
- Learn common abbreviations in a medical context
- Understand the importance of law and ethics in the healthcare field (HIPAA, doctor/patient confidentiality, patient bill of rights, health insurance fraud, health insurance abuse, embezzlement, subpoenas, etc.)
- Develop an understanding of the association between the need to secure reimbursement and the delivery of medical services
- Understand medical billing and coding systems using AAPC textbooks
- Post and submit claims
- Communicate with healthcare providers and insurance companies regarding billing
- Perform accurate data entry
- Manage health insurance data
- Track payments and reimbursements
- Appeal denied claims
- Apply the correct coding to medical diagnoses and treatments for billing purposes
- Demonstrate the ability to use medical software and electronic health records
- Transfer procedural and diagnostic coding knowledge to both paper and electronic claim forms
Students must have access to the use of a computer with working WiFi, microphone and video camera for each class which will be taught using Microsoft Teams. Students must have a quiet place to work from during class, as the course is interactive for the purpose of classroom engagement and a deeper level of instruction and learning. TNPTI’s Online Medical Billing and Coding course uses synchronous learning, meaning the course is offered in real time with a live instructor.
TN Professional Training Institute’s Online Medical Billing and Coding program is an intensive, accelerated, 80 Hour program. Although we strongly encourage students to attend all 80 hours, students are allowed one (1) absence as long as they contact their instructor(s) at least one (1) day prior to the missed class. Arriving late or leaving early may be considered an absence. Students are also required to schedule a make-up day (convenient for both the student and instructor) to review and practice missed materials. Students who miss more than one class will be dismissed and may be moved to the next session at the discretion of the instructor.
Students are required to maintain an 80% average to pass this course. If an 80% average is not maintained, students may have to repeat materials before completing the course.
The Ultimate Student Experience
TNPTI is conveniently located off I-24 (exit 81) in Murfreesboro, Tennessee with plenty of free parking available. TN Professional Training Institute is in the South Church Centre across from Murfreesboro Hyundai.